Supporting Rural Saskatchewan
Saskatchewan is a diverse Canadian province with a renewed focus on rural community development and regional business promotion. Many Saskatchewan towns and villages, working through their local development boards, chamber of councils, or municipal councils, are endeavoring to create economic and industrial growth, business incentives, tourist attractions, and residential appeal for those looking for community living, and a rural lifestyle.
Each town or village has a set of unique features and attractions that range from bed and breakfasts, hunting and fishing, bird watching centers, camping, roadside attractions, outdoor and water recreation, culture, heritage and many one-of-a-kind cottage industries. Each community also has access to one or more of Saskatchewan's major centers sharing in their tourism and business services.
Schools, essential in the rural setting, aspire to academic excellence and offer a good teacher to student ratio which is often missing in urban schools. Rural schools are well supported by their communities and the learning environment often involves students from all grades working together on projects and activities. Some of the communities, facing rural depopulation, are working to employ the latest in teaching technology as well as international student programs in order to diversify and expand.
Saskatchewan towns and villages who are part of this fireflyweb linkshare program cooperatively promote the province and encourage small town living. Bring your talents and rural spirit to Saskatchewan and join a small town or village where your business, residential, or tourism ideas will not go unappreciated. In fact, why shouldn’t we encourage small town living here in Saskatchewan where the housing and infrastructure is often already in place, and where agriculture and the new trends towards a more sustainable lifestyle are possible. Saskatchewan can be proud of its rural spirit, safe environment and community focus.
- Towns and Villages:
- The Village of Kenaston is known for it's famous Snowman mascot, its Superdraft hockey lottery, it's active Chamber of Commerce and for its high school sports and Blizzards hockey team.
- Blaine Lake is situated at the junction of Highways 12 and 40, and is called the Gateway to the Lakes. The Town of Blaine Lake offers plenty of outdoor recreation, camping, hunting and tourist attractions.
- Because its diverse mixture of ethnic heritage and culture Village of Leask is known as The Melting Pot. Central to three urban centers, Leask is 108kms from Saskatoon, 80 kms from Prince Albert and 128kms from North Battleford.
- Because of its access to a dependable water supply, the Town of Eatonia is a "prairie oasis", with a large urban forest, paved streets and other amenities which are rare in other towns of the same size. .
- The Village of Shields - Nestled along the west shore of Blackstrap Lake, just 30 minutes south of Saskatoon, the Resort Village of Shields is considered "the best kept secret in Saskatchewan". Shields is the ideal place to retire or raise a family. As a thriving forty year old Village, we provide for weekend getaway opportunities and family based rural residential living.
- The Village of Canwood - The ideal location and variety of services offered, makes Canwood a good choice for people looking to get back to small town life. We offer a variety of essential services, from groceries to health care, and are also close enough to the big centers that travel is convenient.
- Village of Marcelin - We are a small community, with a population of 158 according to the 2011 census, located on Hwy 40 in between North Battleford, Saskatoon, and Prince Albert. More specifically between Leask & Blaine Lake. There are many lakes, activities & scenery to enjoy with Crown Hill being one of the highest points.
- The Village of Zenon Park is located in northeast Saskatchewan along the Tisdale-Nipawin corridor. The Village is strongly linked to its neighbouring communities Arborfield and Carrot River, and to the region's two larger centers, Tisdale and Nipawin.
- Town of Hanley - It is a small agricultural community in the grain-growing region of Southern Saskatchewan on Highway 11, 30 minutes south of Saskatoon.
- Village of Dinsmore - "Buckle of the Wheatbelt". A Saskatchewan Village on Highway 42.
- Each year the Chaplin Nature Center offers tours to see hundreds of thousands of birds that stop at Chaplin Lake - some to nest, some to refuel on their way to their Arctic breeding grounds.
- Super Draft is a Saskatchewan hockey pool based in Kenaston. Super Draft operates its lottery for both the NHL Regular Season and Playoff Drafts each year.
- Midlakes Anglican Parish - Welcome to the Midlakes Anglican Parish. We seek to create a place where all are free to explore deep questions without judgment or over-simplistic answers. We are ordinary people seeking to follow Jesus—a challenging and fulfilling experience that brings joy to our lives in many different ways.
- Living Sky Wildlife Rehabilitation - To provide a safe place for injured and orphaned wild animals to grow and mend until they can return to their natural habitat while encouraging public tolerance and understanding of wildlife.
- Prairie Christmas Tree Growers Association, PCTGA is committed to facilitating the improvement and stabilization of the production, distribution and marketing of quality Christmas trees and related products on the prairies.
- Canadian Cherry Producers - An umbrella organization for the prairie cherry industry based on the superior University of Saskatchewan cultivars.
- Mason's Christmas Trees is a family farm business located near Kenaston. Each Christmas season the Mason's invites you to come to their farm, walk through it "forest" of Christmas trees, choose your favorite, and cut it down.
- Pavelich Farm Bed and Breakfast welcomes you to its beautiful prairie setting and wide-open spaces. Pavelich Farm, near Kenaston, is a great place to stop to be central to tourist attractions in any direction.
- Elusive Saskatchewan White Tail Outfitters is one of Saskatchewan's top Outfitters, bringing people into the province since 1990.
- Lowdermilk Welding specializes in in welding, and T & E pumps sales, service and installation, as well as heavy equipment repair both agricultural and industrial, and repairs to industrial machine tools and equipment.
- Frier Agencies Insurance - A small town insurance business in Davidson, Saskatchewan.
- Gene Pavelich Photography has lived in rural Saskatchewan most of his life. His photography reflects an appreciation of the culture and beauty of his native province.
- Hoffmann Holder Insurance & Licence Issuer - Kenaston, Saskatchewan. We work hard to be the best in our business, offering good solid products, educating our staff and being there when you need us. We are a 4th generation business with long established relationships with our clients.
- Lowdermilk Tranpsort Ltd is a family owned and operated business located out of Kenaston, Saskatchewan. We have multiple trucks servicing Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba.
- At Eagle Ridge Development on Keg Lake, Saskatchewan - each lot is a minimum of 1.2 acres in size which makes them all large enough to allow for private, spacious yards surrounded by trees and gardens. Or add your own special features such as a hot tub, gazebo, kid's play area, work shop or storage shed.
- Eatonia Oasis Living in Eatonia, Saskatchewan. Eatonia Oasis Living is a personal care home offering 24 hour quality care, in a safe and comfortable home environment with a full range of services. We fill a void for people who cannot manage in their own homes due to health reasons or safety issues, but do not qualify for long term care in a government facility.